Map of Lincoln/Nebraska
- Downtown Map – http://www.nebraskahistory.org/sites/mnh/map.htm
- Lincoln – http://www.lincoln.org/visit/maps
The capital of Nebraska, Lincoln is the 2nd largest city in Nebraska. It sits in the southeast corner of the state, less than an hour from Omaha, and only 3.5 hours from three Geocache friendly cities Sioux Falls, SD; Des Moines, IA; and Kansas City, MO.
The Heart of most Nebraskans is the Nebraska Cornhuskers – Lincoln is the home to the University of Nebraska, conveniently located just north of downtown Lincoln. The football team plays at Memorial Stadium, the basketball team at Pinnacle Bank Arena, and the volleyball team at Bob Devaney.
Lincoln’s tourist attractions
Included but are not limited to: Sunken Gardens, the Lincoln Children’s Zoo, Mueller Planetarium, The Nebraska State Capitol (which is also the tallest building in Lincoln), The Frank H Woods Telephone Museum, The Speedway Motors Museum of American Speed (which preserves, interprets, and displays physical items significant in racing and automotive history), and The National Museum of Roller Skating.
Lincoln has easy access to multiple highways and an interstate:
- Highway 2 – has 2 segments, from Nebraska City through Lincoln, and again from Grand Island to the South Dakota Border north of Crawford.
- Highway 6 – runs from the Colorado border (west of Imperial) and to the Iowa border in the east at Omaha.
- Highway 34 – runs from Colorado border (west of Haigler) and to the Iowa border east of Plattsmouth.
- Highway 77 – Runs north to south, from South of Wymore, and ending north of Sioux City.
- Interstate 80 – Runs from Omaha on the eastern side to the Wyoming border on the west side. It is the 2nd longest Highway/Interstate in the US. It runs from San Francisco, CA to Teaneck NJ (in the New York City Metropolitan)
The Lincoln Highway was one of the earliest transcontinental highways for automobiles in the United States. It ran coast to coast, from Times Square in New York City, west to Lincoln Park in San Francisco. You can find a few remaining highway markers for the Old Lincoln Highway scattered throughout Lincoln.
- Lincoln Airport (LNK) Located in NW corner of Lincoln, Exit #399 on I-80.
- Eppley Airfield (OMA) – is located in Northeast Omaha and offers flights from all major airlines.